We often witness the aching heart of a victim of domestic abuse. Sometimes we choose not to act because either we think that it is not necessary or we don’t want ourselves to get involved in that. Majority of people prefer to give advice instead. Though advice is still an effective thing to do you should take a greater step to show the victim that you not only care for their welfare but you really want to help. But before helping a victim it is necessary that you know all the details about domestic abuse. This is a detailed analysis which will help you know the victim and the case in a better way.
Types of abuse
Domestic abuse can be of multiple categories. Physical abuse, psychological abuse, mental abuse, sexual abuse, verbal abuse, and stalking are some categories. The abuse should never be taken as love and spouse’s irrational needs as an endearment. If your every step is controlled by your spouse then that shows that you are not in a healthy relationship. It is a dangerous abusive mentality so you must accept and push away. When you are investing your heart and soul in a relationship then you deserve to get respect.
Usually, domestic abuse between partners arises when there is control of one spouse over another. The abuser will use fear and humiliation to control. Somehow if they feel that it is not working then they resort to violence. When domestic abuse turns to violence then it is called domestic violence. Each relationship has their own struggles but if you find that there is a situation of no trust in your relationship then you must understand the type of relationship you are in and thus it’s better to leave.
Facts about domestic abuse
- You may choose not to intervene in case of domestic abuse. This is usually because the victim does not allow you to intervene. The abuser has a common pattern that is they will be first very abusive and then they will be apologetic to their violent behavior. This will take the victim’s sensibility. In that case, you should not intervene abruptly but instead build a plan to take action.
- Often you are not aware of the abuse because the abuser is great at presenting as a calmer, friendlier side in public which makes many of them feel sympathetic or they begin to believe the abuser. In that case, it is hard to detect the personality of an abuser. They can be detected only when they show some signs of abuse.
- It is quite common that as soon as the victim leaves the abuser then the abuser tries, by all means, to become innocent. They show up kind gesture and guilty heart to justify their actions.
- The abuser will portray themselves as sad, desperate and hopeless. There are times when they will even accuse the victim that due to the behavior of the victim they acted in that way. This could let them feel justified for the course of actions taken by them. At times the stories may even sound justified especially when they are kind to you.
- In some serious cases after the victim leaves the house, the abuser tends to stay within the victim’s inner circle in order to feel close to the victim and retrieve information.
Thus, after identifying the abuser you must immediately take steps against them. In only a few cases domestic abuse happens out of a mistake. In the majority of cases, the abusers are committed to greater crime. If abusive activities continue daily over several years then such activities should not bypass.