Recently, the Ketogenic diet has become quite popular. It is a low-carb and high-fat diet which is effective for weight loss, epilepsy, and diabetes. This diet plan is limited carbs to 20-50 grams per day. This may seem challenging but many nutritious foods fit easily in this type of diet. This is a list of some health food items that one can eat when on a ketogenic diet.
- Seafood: Today, fish and shellfish are most preferred keto-friendly foods. There is much other fish such as salmon which are rich in B vitamins, selenium, potassium yet they are carb-free. The carbs present in different types of shellfish differ like shrimp and majority of crabs have no carbs whereas other types of shellfishes have. While including shellfish in a ketogenic diet plan, make sure that count the carbs present in them.
- Low-carb vegetables: Most vegetables contain fiber that body can’t digest and absorb like other carbs. So, before taking vegetables look at the carb count of that vegetable which is total carbs excluding fiber. However, one of the servings of vegetables like yam, potatoes or beets can limit carb for the day. Along with that vegetables also contain antioxidants which protect you from free radicals which are unstable molecules. The cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower can decrease heart disease risk.
- Cheese: There is a huge variety of cheese available in the market. All types of cheese are low in carb and high in fat which makes them perfect for a ketogenic diet. Cheese has saturated fat but doesn’t increase the risk of heart disease instead some studies found that it may protect against heart disease. It has conjugated linoleic acid which is a form of fat that is linked to fat loss and improvements in body composition. Eating cheese regularly will help you to reduce the muscle mass.
- Avocados: They are considered perfect for a ketogenic diet. They are high in vitamins and minerals such as potassium which is one important mineral that usually people don’t get easily. A higher potassium intake may help to adopt a ketogenic diet easily. It improves cholesterol and triglyceride levels. In a study, when people consumed a diet high in avocados, there was a decrease in bad cholesterol and triglycerides and an increase in good cholesterol.
- Meat and poultry: These are vital for those who are on a ketogenic diet. Fresh meat and poultry have no carbs and yet they are rich in B vitamins and several minerals, including potassium, selenium, and zinc. They also have protein which is required for preserving muscle mass in the duration of a low-carb diet.
- Coconut oil: The unique properties make it suitable for a ketogenic diet. It has medium chain triglycerides which are useful for our body. These are fats which liver take up directly and convert into ketones. In fact, coconut oil increases ketone levels in people with Alzheimer’s disease and brain and nervous system disorders. The fatty acid in coconut oil is lauric acid which has slightly longer-chain fat.
These are some of the food that one can include in their ketogenic diet and get effective results of following this diet plan. This diet can be used to achieve weight loss, blood sugar control, and other health-related goals. One can include a huge range of nutritious, tasty and versatile foods which will allow you to remain within your daily carb range. To bring out all the health benefits of a ketogenic diet, consume these foods on a regular basis.